Who are the Thought Police?
Thought Police Interactive (TPI) Studios (“Thought Police”) is a storytelling game and fiction publisher based in Buffalo, New York. TPI Studios specializes in storytelling focused games utilizing “light” d6, resource management, and blind bidding rules systems. The Motif Game Framework is our flagship release, a collection of GM-less, solo, and quickly RPG toolkits. The fiction publishing activities of Thought Police focus on dark fantasy, cross-genre, and weird fiction.
What Does Thought Police Make?
Current titles in public playtesting include Arthur’s Legacy and Animatica. Some recent titles include the Motif Story Engine, Once We Were Beautiful, and NEVER Stop Smiling. We tend toward GM-less and solo toolkits and games, as well as strange concepts and weird fiction games. However, we also create more traditional RPGs, such as the modern fantasy Arthur’s Legacy and the multimedia ‘toon RPG Animatica.
- Egregores: The Creepypasta Storytelling Game, is a one-page horror storygame about a malleable past and creepypasta becoming real.
- Arthur’s Legacy is an Arthurian modern fantasy game, featuring the return of Avalon. Players portray Knights, reincarnated mystic warriors. The core system uses a diceless combination of blind bidding and resource management for task resolution. d6 based GM-less edition in development and early playtesting.
- Gobble. Gobble! GOBBLE! is a surreal season game about an uprising of uplifted turkeys. Take on the role of a suddenly sentient turkey, compelled to free your brethren by spreading the awakening. Make a choice between seeking safe haven or seeking revenge against humanity. Uses a Motif Game Framework build, with a simple hack of the Motif Story Engine GM-less toolkit and an implementation of Motif Action Engine RPG system.
- Animatica is a cross-genre “cartoon” game, based in a mixed-media universe of animated and puppeetered characters. Players have broad flexibility in building a wide variety of concepts, from the wacky to the deadly serious. The core mechanics are based around a simple d6-based win counting system. Also includes an optional diceless rules mod for even more simplified play.
- Motif Story Engine is a GM-lite and solo play engine. It is system agnostic and can be used with most roleplaying games.
- Motif Character Engine is the character and player emulator segment of the Motif Game Framework. It provides a template-based “pseudo-AI” or “behavior seed” system combined with the use of d6 Motif oracles to provide uncertainty and make things interesting.
- SC911: Special Crimes 911, is a high tension RPG about answering emergency calls in a world of monsters. Uses play rules where all voice communication is in-character. All OOC talk must be silent/by-text. Perfect for chat games. Also unique in that the main characters do not fight the monsters. They are specially trained call agents who must control the call, get the important details, and dispatch appropriate help. That may be dispatching a SWAT team, but it also could be sending out the monster’s family or a deescalation to get the creature calmed down. The fate of everyone involved is in your hands.
- Once We Were Beautiful is a storytelling and chat party game with light rules and heavy themes. Portray the last of the Fair Folk, who are fading from this world and gathered to tell their final story.
- NEVER Stop Smiling offers weird fiction roleplaying in a post-apocalyptic dystopia. The world shattered long ago. Strange beasts roam and the lands are cursed. Walled metros provide bastions against the weird and wild. Ours is The Happy Place, where we are beyond the reach of Death and we NEVER stop smiling.
The Thought Police Are Watching Social Media
You can follow or contact us on our Thought Police Interactive Facebook page.
Thought Police are also active on Twitter and love to engage.